Immigration Cases:
Couple together on their wedding day

Can I Get Married on a Visitor Visa to a U.S. Citizen?

It’s like something out of the movies — a foreign tourist coming to visit the U.S. and unexpectedly falling in love. This doesn’t only happen in the movies, though; it has happened in real life.

While there is typically no issue with a foreign visitor getting married to a U.S. citizen, one problem could arise — that visitor staying in the U.S.

Avoiding Visa Fraud

If someone enters the U.S. on a B-2 visitor visa for the sole purpose of getting married to a U.S. citizen and then applying for a Green Card, USCIS will consider this visa fraud. The foreign national could then be deported making it extremely difficult to apply for a Green Card in the future.

However, if someone goes through the proper processes, they should have no difficulties getting married and staying in the U.S.

Getting Married in the U.S.

If someone comes to the U.S. with their visitor visa and later decides to get married, that person will need an adjustment of status. Thankfully, while the adjustment of status is being processed, the foreign national can typically stay in the U.S.

Those who go this route should take precautions to prove that they have a bona fide marriage. Learn more here about actions couples can take to prove their marriage is real.

K-1 Fiance Visa

If someone plans to come to the U.S. for the sole purpose of getting married, another option could be the K-1 Fiance visa. This allows the holder to stay in the U.S. legally for 90 days, get married, and then apply for a green card.

Which Option is Best for Me?

No one can predict when they might find love. But by legally entering the U.S. and following USCIS guidelines, that individual shouldn’t face complications if their intentions are true.

If you have questions about coming to the U.S., look no further than the immigration attorneys at (Site:BusinessName}. Our dedicated team has firsthand experience with legally entering and staying in the U.S. and we want to help you live out your dream of staying in this country.

Contact us online or by phone so we can start working together. (954) 883-9122