Hollywood Sex Crime Lawyers
Defending Clients Facing Sex Crime Charges in Broward County
If you are facing sex crime charges, you need an experienced and dedicated legal team. At Magilligan Law, our team of sex crime attorneys in Hollywood is here to provide you with the legal guidance and support you need to achieve the best possible outcome.
Our attorneys thoroughly understand the legal complexities involved in sex crime cases and are committed to staying up-to-date with the latest developments in the field. We take a holistic approach to each case, working closely with our clients to understand their unique circumstances, concerns, and goals. We know that being accused of a sex crime can devastate your personal and professional life, and we will do everything in our power to protect your rights and reputation.
Common Types of Sex Crime Charges in Florida
In the state of Florida, some of the sex crimes that are most commonly prosecuted by the court system include cases that involve:
- Child pornography
- Child molestation
- Rape and sexual battery
- Molestation of a lascivious or sexual nature
- Battery of a sexual nature
- Statutory rape
- Revenge pornography
- Date rape
- Gang rape or group rape
- Indecent public exposure
- Solicitation on the Internet
- Having a sexual relationship with a minor or forcing a minor to perform lewd acts
- Refusing to get registered as a sex offender
Once a defendant completes their time, they will be forced to register as a sex offender for the rest of their lives, which makes it nearly impossible to find a job, rent or buy property or a house, or receive a professional license. Those convicted of a sex crime often lose custody of their children, as well as close relationships with friends or family. To avoid these terrible consequences, reach out to our Hollywood sex crime lawyers immediately.
What are the Penalties for Sex Crimes in Florida?
Sex crime charges in Florida can result in severe legal penalties in addition to the personal and social consequences of a conviction. Some of the penalties that you may face if you are convicted of a sex crime in Florida include the following:
- Imprisonment: Depending on the nature and severity of the crime, a conviction for a sex crime in Florida can result in a lengthy prison sentence, ranging from a few years to life imprisonment.
- Fines: Sex crime convictions in Florida often result in substantial fines ranging from a few thousand dollars to tens of thousands of dollars.
- Probation: If you are convicted of a sex crime in Florida, you may be placed on probation for a period of time, during which you will be required to comply with certain conditions, such as regular check-ins with a probation officer and abstaining from drugs and alcohol.
- Sex offender registration: Florida law requires individuals convicted of certain sex crimes to register as sex offenders. This means that you will be required to provide personal information to law enforcement, including your name, address, and photograph, and you may be subject to community notification.
- Treatment: In some cases, individuals convicted of sex crimes in Florida may be required to undergo sex offender treatment or counseling.
It is important to note that the penalties for sex crimes in Florida can vary widely depending on the specific charges and circumstances of the case. If you are facing sex crime charges in Florida, it is essential to seek the advice of an experienced sex crime defense attorney in Hollywood who can help you understand the potential consequences and develop a strong defense strategy.
Sex Offender Registration
Facing the horrible sentence of prison as a convicted sex criminal is terrible enough, but the severe penalties do not end when one’s incarceration time is finally fulfilled. In the state of Florida, every single person who has allegedly committed a sexual crime is forced to register as a sex offender in their neighborhood, no matter the severity or type of sex crime. This registration makes it impossible to attempt to get your life back to normal.
Few landlords or realtors will even consent to renting or selling a home to a sex offender, and employers and places of education will refuse to allow you to work or study there. You will not even be allowed to travel or pass by certain locations, such as schools, and even accidental trespassing can result in another mark on your record. To avoid these disastrous consequences, it is important to seek advocacy right away with our dedicated Hollywood sex crime lawyers. We are ready to defend your rights and scrutinize the supposed evidence for careless mistakes or illegal law enforcement procedures.
Defenses to Sex Crime Charges in Florida
Defending against sex crime charges in Florida can be complex and challenging, but it is not impossible. Several defenses can be used to challenge sex crime charges and potentially avoid a conviction. Some of the most common defenses for sex crimes include:
- Consent: One of the most common defenses to sex crime charges is that the alleged victim consented to the sexual activity. Consent is a critical factor in many sex crime cases, and if the prosecution cannot prove that the alleged victim did not consent, the charges may be dismissed.
- Mistaken identity: In some cases, the wrong person may be accused of a sex crime due to mistaken identity. This can happen when the alleged victim cannot accurately identify the perpetrator or when the perpetrator is falsely accused.
- Lack of intent: Many sex crimes require a specific intent to commit the offense, such as to assault or molest someone sexually. The charges may be dismissed if the prosecution cannot prove that the defendant had the required intent.
- False accusations: Unfortunately, false accusations of sex crimes are not uncommon. In some cases, individuals may falsely accuse others of sex crimes for personal gain, revenge, or other reasons. An experienced sex crime defense attorney can help uncover false accusations and build a strong defense.
- Alibi: If the defendant can prove that they were somewhere else when the alleged crime occurred, they may be able to use an alibi defense to challenge the charges.
It is important to note that the specific defense strategy used in a sex crime case will depend on the unique circumstances of the case. A skilled Hollywood sex crime defense attorney can help evaluate the evidence, identify potential weaknesses in the prosecution’s case, and develop a strong defense strategy tailored to the specific needs of the defendant.
Contact Our Hollywood Sex Crime Attorneys Today
We understand that facing sex crime charges can be a terrifying and overwhelming experience, and we are committed to providing compassionate and personalized legal services to each client. Our team of experienced Hollywood sex crime lawyers will tirelessly protect your rights, build a strong defense strategy, and achieve the best possible outcome for your case. Contact us today to schedule a confidential consultation and learn more about how we can help defend your freedom and future.
Contact Magilligan Law today to schedule a FREE consultation with one of our sex crime lawyers in Hollywood, FL!