Immigration Cases:
Marriage Based Green Cards We're Committed to Your Future

Marriage-Based Green Card Attorneys in Hollywood

Green Card Marriage Laws in Florida

A person can get a green card in the United States through marriage to a citizen or legal permanent resident, if they are able to show to the immigration authorities that they have a valid marriage according to the immigration laws, and that their marriage is bona fide. A bona fide marriage is the legal definition of a real marriage, meaning a marriage that was entered with the intention to cohabitate and live in a marital relationship, not with the purpose of obtaining immigration benefits. Couples are required to attend interviews with an immigration officer that will ask questions about their lives prior to getting married, and as a married couple. The interview should be simple, but the officers can be more inquisitive when there are prior marriages, age, ethnicity, or language differences.

Marriage-Based Green Cards for Same-Sex Couples

In same-sex couples, a suspicion of fraud could arise if one of the spouses had a prior heterosexual marriage. On June 26, 2015, with Obergefell v. Hodges, the United States Supreme Court ruled that same-sex marriage is a fundamental right protected under the constitution. That means that same-sex marriage is valid all over the United States. However, same-sex couples who got married outside of the United States need to make sure that their marriage is legal in the country in which it was entered. Argentina, Brazil, Canada, Colombia, Ecuador, England, France, Germany, and Spain are examples of countries that legally recognize same-sex marriage.

Legal Services We Offer

When they get married, many couples in the United States deal with the stress of starting and sharing a new life with a spouse who is not a citizen or resident of this country. Magilligan Law will assist you in that process. We have successfully represented couples from many backgrounds, including same-sex couples. The process consists of filling out applications, preparation, and representation at the interview with the immigration officer. The couples need to show that they entered the marriage without the intention of obtaining immigration benefits. We make sure that couples are prepared to address all the questions at the interview to prevent any suspicion of fraud.

If your spouse is either a United States citizen or an immigrant, we can assist you in the following:

  • Adjustment of status
  • Removal of conditions on green card

At Magilligan Law, we can also represent you in these types of cases:

  • U visas for victims of criminal activity
  • DACA, Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals
  • I-360 Self Petitions for Battered Spouses
  • T visas for victims of human trafficking

Call (954) 883-9122 or complete our contact form to schedule a consultation with our marriage-based green card attorneys in Hollywood.

Why Choose Us?

See the Many Ways We Can Help
  • Every Client Is Treated Like Part of the Family
  • Strong Reputation within the Legal Community
  • Committed to Obtaining the Best Possible Outcome
  • Communicative & Attentive to Our Clients' Needs
  • 25 Years of Combined Legal Experience
  • We Pride Ourselves on Honesty & Quality

Contact Magilligan Law

Schedule a Free Consultation
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.