Your Future is Worth
Fighting for
We’re in Your Corner

    Contact Us


    Your Future is Worth
    Fighting for
    We’re in Your Corner
    Your Future is Worth
    Fighting for
    We’re in Your Corner

    Re-entry Permits Lawyers in Hollywood, FL

    Helping Clients Protect Their Permanent Resident Status

    Every immigrant’s journey toward residency and citizenship is different. The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services requires prospective citizens to reside continuously in the country, but some individuals need to travel abroad for extended periods for various reasons. Although their intent is to maintain lawful permanent resident status, these immigrants may need to return to their home country or make other travel plans to resolve business or family matters.

    As long as you are only outside of the U.S. for less than a year, you may retain your legal status through a re-entry permit. On the other hand, staying outside the country for more than a year can result in being denied entry or losing your hard-earned immigration status. In other scenarios, immigrants who are gone for under a year may still be suspected of abandonment of their green card. Because of the complications associated with traveling as a legal resident, you should consult with an immigration attorney before you submit an application for a travel document as a green card holder.

    At Magilligan Law, we have gone through the immigration process firsthand. We understand how frustrating it can be as an applicant who needs to handle issues outside the country and have your status threatened. Our thorough understanding of immigration law allows us to find creative solutions that allow you to handle the matters you need by traveling and retaining your lawful resident status. Contact us today at 954-833-1454 to learn more about residency requirements and how we can help you leave and re-enter the U.S. legally.

    What Does a Re-entry Permit Do?

    Sometimes, individuals immigrating to the United States have personal or business matters that require they travel abroad and return infrequently to the U.S. In these cases, the permanent resident status may come into question, and the immigrant could be accused of abandoning their green card. A re-entry permit lawyer can help you petition for this unique travel document that preserves your lawful resident status for up to two years.

    Not only does the re-entry permit preserve your immigration status, but it may also be recognized as a travel document in the country you’re visiting. Depending on where you’re traveling to, you may be able to use the re-entry permit as a returning resident visa rather than a passport. To learn more about how to obtain a re-entry permit and minimize the processing time for this valuable immigration document, please reach out to our legal team today.

    What Is the Process of Obtaining a Re-entry Permit?

    Ideally, the immigrant will file a petition for a re-entry permit with USCIS before they leave the country. The process of reviewing and approving the permit then begins with the following steps:

    • Payment of the re-entry permit fee
    • Submitting a Form I-131 to apply for a re-entry permit
    • Providing basic biographic information
    • Explaining the reasons for needing to travel
    • Providing an estimate of how long the resident will be outside the U.S.
    • Attending the biometrics appointment to be photographed and fingerprinted
    • Responding to a request for evidence, if applicable

    Hiring an attorney can significantly reduce the re-entry permit processing time and ensure your application has the best chance of being approved. You may also request a re-entry permit if you are already outside the U.S.. However, you may need to travel back to the country to personally file the petition. Renewal of a re-entry permit is also possible with the help of an immigration lawyer like those at Magilligan Law.

    Who Qualifies for a Re-entry Permit?

    An immigrant who wishes to continue residing in the United States and provides the necessary evidence of their need to leave the country may be approved for a re-entry permit by the USCIS. Some problems may arise if:

    • The immigrant does not come to the United States to personally file the petition
    • The individual does not adequately respond to the request for evidence
    • The individual has already taken up residence in another country
    • The lawful permanent resident has been out of the U.S. for over a year

    The United States government is extremely strict regarding lawful permanent residents who spend extended periods of time outside the country. To avoid being disqualified for re-entry, you should reach out to a team of immigration attorneys like those at our law firm. We can advise you on whether you are eligible for a re-entry permit and help you navigate the complex procedure of obtaining permission to re-enter the country.

    Should You Hire Our Re-entry Permits Attorneys?

    Working toward U.S. citizenship is time-consuming and expensive. If you have achieved legal resident status, you should take every precaution to ensure your status is protected. However, some green card holders need to leave the country for various reasons. At this critical time, you should have the advice of a skilled immigration attorney who can help you keep your status and gain legal re-entry.

    At Magilligan Law, our lead attorney has experienced immigrating from another country to the United States and personally understands the stress and expense that comes with applying for residency and re-entry. Her years spent helping clients accomplish their immigration goals give our legal team the edge we need to get you the results you’re looking for.

    When you hire our team of immigration attorneys, you will get personal attention and have the respect you deserve. We will answer your questions quickly and communicate constantly throughout the process so you know what to expect at each step. When it comes to your residency status, you shouldn’t take the risk of hiring inexperienced lawyers. Call us today for the best chances of approval and for attorneys who will aggressively defend your right to remain in the United States. You can reach us at 954-833-1454 to schedule your initial case evaluation.